Friday, August 25, 2006

SWMBO and that logic

Women are funny things. I'm sure someone out there has remarked as much and certainly more eloquently.

SWMBO, as mentioned, uses logic in a way that never stops bewildering me.

Take the weather.

"Gee, the weather's funny today" she'll say from our bathroom at 7:00am, before she's left the house, only minutes from waking. I make these points because I expect any judgment on the day's weather to be borne with experience. I am sure you couldn't really make comment on the weather until, at least, you've been out in it for a bit. And you've something to compare it, requiring you be out in it long enough for a point of reference. To put your tooth brush down and come up with a gem like "Gee, the weather's funny today" strikes me as odd.
Naturally, I am compelled to respond, which for quite a while now goes along the lines of "Well, weather is not a stable system; it's in continual change. Some-days the change is rapid, others slower, but it's always changing. It's also very unpredictable much like the way dice will roll."
"Yes, but, yesterday it was windy and rainy and today it's sunny."

Sigh. "But why is that funny?"

"Well, it changed. Yesterday was windy and rainy, today it's the opposite."

Calling the weather funny because it changed defies logic.

No comments: